Did You Doctor Dismiss Your Medical Concerns Because You Are Female? What You Can Do

Law Blog

One of the many challenges facing women in the world is the problem of not always being taken seriously when they express worry or concern. If you have recently had an experience with a medical professional in which your concerns about your health were dismissed, you may feel that if you were a man, you would have been taken more seriously. And if your health continued to suffer because of this initial dismissal, you may wonder what you can do about your experience. However, you also be unsure of what to do to rectify and deal with the situation. Get to know some of the steps that you can and should take in this situation so that you can get a satisfactory resolution to an unpleasant experience.

Get a Second Opinion

Firstly, if you are suffering physically, which you likely are if you went to a doctor about a medical issue, you want to make sure that you get the condition or issue properly treated. Seeking out a second opinion is an important step in dealing with your situation properly. You know your body better than anyone and if you know that something is wrong, you need to find a doctor that will listen to you.

Many women go to their primary care physician for painful menstruation, periods that last for excessive amounts of time, or even more general issues like chronic pain or fatigue and get told that it is just their hormones and is something they need to just deal with. However, these symptoms can be signs of more serious conditions including PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), fibromyalgia, and endometriosis, among many others, that require medical management. Going to another doctor for help is not a betrayal of your primary care doctor and may help you get a diagnosis and treatment that would otherwise take repeated frustrating visits to get.

Contact a Personal Injury Attorney

Being denied medical care when you need it could be cause for filing a medical malpractice or personal injury lawsuit. If your doctor dismissed your claims of serious back pain as being "normal cramps", for example, and it turns out you had a slipped disc, tumor, or other serious issue that required extensive medical treatment and surgery, the delay in your care could have worsened the condition and led to more complications.

By contacting a personal injury attorney, you will be able to determine if you can or should pursue a case against your physician and how you can get the process started. Your lawyer will help you gather information and evidence and will file your lawsuit for you so that you can focus on your health and well-being.

With these steps in mind, you can better handle the unfortunate and unpleasant situation of having your medical concerns dismissed because you are a woman. Go to this web-site.


1 May 2017