What To Do When Your Child's Teachers Aren't Teaching Your Special Needs Child

Law Blog

Having a special needs child is hard enough. It becomes more challenging when teachers decide to just shuffle and pass your child along without doing anything to help him/her grow as a student. When your child is high-functioning enough and mobile enough, he/she should be going to class and getting a worthwhile education. If you discover that this is not the case, you need to talk to a special education lawyer. Then do the following.

Visit Your Child's Classroom and Lunch Breaks Unannounced

There are many helicopter parents that visit unannounced. You can enter the school, and sign in as a visitor, and then hang out outside the classroom to observe unseen for a few minutes. This allows you to see exactly what is going on with your child and whether or not he/she is receiving the support and motivation he/she needs. Also, come for lunch breaks. If your child is being segregated from his/her peers to eat, that goes against the law. It creates a stigma around your child that screams, "Hey! Not "normal" here!  Stay away, and do not try to be friends with me!" It isolates your child from the primary social activity of the day and decreases self-esteem.

In mainstreaming your child, that should never happen unless there have been major behavioral issues in the past or your child needs to be apart from peers when eating lunch. You will immediately know when the teachers and school are in the wrong because your entrance into the cafeteria will cause teachers to scramble and appear embarrassed. They will act guilty because they know they are doing something wrong.

Report and Document What You Have Seen

If you see anything out of the ordinary and/or not in line with your child's IEP, document it. Record it with a day and time stamp. This is exceedingly important when you decide to file a lawsuit against the school district and its teachers for failing to help your child and teach your child. Your lawyer can present your documentation as evidence to the judge in regards to everything that you witnessed that was wrong. Be ready for answers that teachers and school officials will give to cover up and counter your claims.

Move Your Child to Another School

Since you are suing your child's teachers and/or school district, you should remove your child from his/her school. Place him/her in private or parochial school, or, if you are able, teach him/her at home through online schooling. Find a school that will work with and for the betterment of your child. If you win your lawsuit, it is a good idea to keep your child enrolled in another school/school district.

For more information, contact a local firm like the Law Office of Mark W Voigt


18 September 2018